Stentor violins are the main teaching instruments in Britain’s schools. All instruments are hand carved from solid tonewoods with good quality pegs and fingerboards. Stentor is the only independent company with a wholly owned violin factory workshop in China. As a result, Stentor instruments have the essential characteristics of good tonal quality plus consistent quality control. The Stentor factory workshop is located in Jiangsu province, north of the Yangtze river and about 300 km north west of Shanghai.
Stentor Music Co. Ltd sells more violins than any other company worldwide and offers unequalled value.
Stentor has been known to orchestral stringed instrument players and teachers for more than 100 years. According to Greek mythology, Stentor was a herald with the voice and volume of “one hundred other men together”. Edward C. Doughty, a Professor of Music and teacher of the violin, registered the name ‘Stentor’ in 1895 for gut violin strings and rosin. Since the 1960s, more than 500,000 young musicians have begun their musical careers with a Stentor instrument. Many of these same violinists and cellists are now to be found in major orchestras and the teaching profession of today.
The Stentor Student II is now recommended by many education advisors as the optimum teaching instrument. The violin itself is of high quality, hand made in Stentor's unique workshop environment. Pegs, nut and saddle are ebony and the violin is fitted with good quality strings and metal tailpiece with integral adjusters. This violin has a solid ebony fingerboard which can be correctly shaped and profiled to maintain stability. The outfit is completed by a case with integral cover and carrying straps plus a good quality wood bow with ebony frog. Teachers in the UK and Europe, including members of the European String Teachers Association have acclaimed this outfit with great enthusiasm.
- Solid, carved, spruce table
- Solid, carved, maple back and ribs
- Solid, carved, maple neck
- Individual hand shaping and finishing
- Traditional inlaid purfling
- Correct neck angle
- Ebony fingerboard
- Correctly fitted ebony top nut
- Correctly reamed peg hole taper
- Good quality bridge
- Alloy tailpiece with integral adjusters
- Adjustable nylon tailgut
- Ebony pegs
- Teka pattern hardwood chin rest
- Rope core strings
- Strong wood bow with ebony frog
- Natural white horsehair
- Good quality screw, eye and ferrule
- Traditional wedge fitting for hair
- Lightweight case with burgundy red integral cover.
- Fitted interior with accessory pocket and two bow holders
- Carrying straps
- Soft velvet type lining
- Music pocket covering whole lid
- External shoulder rest pocket
- Case blanket or bag included
Available In Either 4/4, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 Size, Priced As Outfit With Case, Bow & Rosin